Fragrant, cheesy deliciousness that goes perfectly with a pot of tea. Slather the scones with butter straight out of the oven!
- 500 ml (2 cups) cake flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) Spur Biltong Spice
- 125 g butter or margarine
- 125 ml (½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 1 extra-large egg
- 100 ml Spur Sweet Chilli Dressing or Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) butter or margarine, melted
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) Marmite
- 125 ml (½ cup) finely grated cheddar cheese
Sift flour, baking powder and Spur Biltong Spice together. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture resembles fine beadcrumbs. Add cheese.
Whisk egg and Spur Sweet Chilli Dressing together. Gradually add to dry ingredients and mix lightly to a soft dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and press to a thickness of 2 cm. Cut out rounds with a 7 cm cutter.
Place onto a greased baking tray with a little space for spreading. Bake at 200°C for 12–15 minutes.
Mix butter with Marmite. Brush mixture onto warm scones. Sprinkle with cheese to serve.