This meal is comfort food at its best. Wholesome and easy to make, the perfect meal for the whole family!
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cooking oil
- 1 kg lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 125 g uncooked elbow macaroni
- 420 g can cream-style sweetcorn
- 100 g green peas
- 1 – 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Spur Durky Sauce
- 125 ml (½ cup) Spur Braai Time Marinade
- 60 ml (¼ cup) water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh thyme or 5 ml (1 tsp) dried
- 3 ml (½ tsp) Spur Texas Steak Spice
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200 ml (1 sachet) Spur Cheddamelt Sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 75 g (¾ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 ml (½ tsp) salt
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Heat oil in a large heavy-based large saucepan. Fry the meat until colour changes. Add onion and green pepper and sauté lightly for about 2 minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients, stir well and spoon into a large ovenproof dish.
Mix Spur Cheddamelt Sauce, milk, 50g cheese and salt together. Pour over meat base in dish.
Bake for about 40 minutes.
Remove from heat, sprinkle remaining cheese over. Put back in oven for another 5 minutes for cheese to melt and serve warm. Garnish with fresh thyme.