This rich and decadent Peppermint Crisp Caramel Mousse dessert is a twist on the classic quick and easy South African dessert, the Peppermint Crisp Tart.
- 200 grams chocolate coconut cookies
- 375 grams Caramel Treat or Dulce de Leche equivalent to 1 can of Nestle Caramel Treat
- 250 ml double thick cream
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced splashed with 2.5 ml of the lemon juice
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 50 grams Cadbury mint chocolate grated or one 35 gram Peppermint crisp bars broken into small pieces
- 10 Pecan halves
Crush the chocolate coconut cookies and add one third to the bottom of the dessert bowl.
Slice the bananas and splash with 2.5 ml of the lemon juice to prevent browning.
Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
In a separate bowl, beat the caramel and 2.5 ml of the lemon juice until smooth and then add to the double thick whipped cream.
Whip again to combine and ensure that it is not runny.
Pour half the caramel cream mixture over the cookie crumbs and add a layer of banana slices.
Add another layer of cookie crumbs, caramel cream and banana slices.
Top with the rest of the cookie crumbs and decorate with whipped cream, grated chocolate or chocolate pieces and pecan halves.
Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
- For the no churn ice cream prepare the recipe as indicated but layer the dessert in a freezer proof container and freeze overnight or for a minimum of 5 hours.
- If you cannot find ready made caramel treat or dulce de leche you can also use 1 can of full cream condensed milk boiled for approximately 3 to 3.5 hours to caramelise the sugars.