We don't often think fruit when it comes to soups, but this one works! Plus, you can substitute with any fruit you like; such as peaches and pears, but apples are our absolute favourite.
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 45 ml (3 Tbsp) cake flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Spur Peri-Peri Sauce
- 8 green apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 8 ml (1½ tsp) chopped fresh mint
- 3ml (1½ tsp) Spur Lemon & Peri Peri Spice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Sauté onion until soft. Add cumin and cake flour and heat for about 1 minute.
Add chicken stock and Spur Peri-Peri Sauce and mix well. Add apple pieces and mint. Simmer for about 20 minutes until apples are soft.
Liquidise three-quarters of soup and add seasoning. Bring to the boil and serve warm. Garnish with cream or yoghurt, fresh apple slices and cumin seeds. Serve with any bread or rolls, if preferred.